Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Mariano Rivera broke Goose Gossage's strikeout record in 1996
- and broke Goose Gossage's Yankee relief record of 122 strikeouts by fanning 130 in 107.2 innings.
- to Baltimore's Rafael Palmeiro on June 28."
- (Funny, Gossage has never mentioned this in his countless media appearances bashing Mariano). sm
Friday, March 07, 2008
"Rivera set the tone..." Papelbon, 3/7/08
- On signing his 1-year $775,000 deal, Jonathan Papelbon notes Mo:
- "I think the role of a closer is just now beginning to erupt and people are starting to understand how important a closer is to a ballclub --
- especially a ballclub that wants to go win a championship.*
I think Rivera was the one that set the tone and established how important it is,
- and I feel it's my job to go and do the same and carry on that tradition. Hopefully I can do that."
- * The role of a closer erupted with Mo but the press put the spotlight elsewhere. They're still sputtering about it, running for the digitalis. (sm)