Thursday, April 23, 2009
Mo is still a bargain--Forbes
"Even the free-spending New York Yankees managed to land a spot on our bargain (relief pitchers) list.
- That’s because closer Mariano Rivera, who finished fifth in American League Cy Young Award voting,
- struck out a staggering 13 batters for each walk
- "Baseball's Best Relief Pitchers for the Buck," by Peter J. Schwartz, 4/22/09, photo from Forbes.com website
Labels: Bargain relief pitchers
14 inning game v Oakland finally ends
Rivera pitches April 22, 2009 at Yankee Stadium v Oakland in the 9th inning of what became a 14 inning game finally won by Melky Cabrera's home run. getty photo
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Posada back in the 9th inning, greets Mo vs Indians, 4/19/09
April 19, 2009 game v Indians, 7-3. getty photos
- "He has pitched 117.1 innings in the postseason, when he is 8-1 with 34 saves and a 0.77 ERA. He has spent 12 seasons as a Yankees closer and only once (2007) has his ERA crept above 3.00. Eight times, it's been below 2.00 --
- that's more sub-2.00 seasons than
- Dennis Eckersley, Bruce Sutter, Lee Smith and Trevor Hoffman combined.
Friday, April 17, 2009
Mariano Rivera v Cleveland, 6-5 final, 4/17/09
Top: Mo, Jeter, Cano after 6-5 win over Indians, bottom two after Mo achieves final strike out v Indians. photos by Getty.
- P.S. Mo's final pitch was called a strike, though Neil Best (and the batter) thought it was a ball. A commenter, James K. cleared the matter up by citing Pitch f/x:
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Mo pitches v Tampa Bay Rays, 4/15/09
Friday, April 10, 2009
Yankees at Royals 4/10/09
- Below, Cano's throw far right but still charged a hit.
- Top, Posada and Rivera after 4/10/09 Kansas City Royals home opener.
- photos by getty