Sunday, April 13, 2008
"Steady genius," Joel Sherman, NY Post, 4/12/08
- But he kept bringing steady genius to the late innings and made himself impossible to move.
- From NY Post article by Joel Sherman, "Joba 'Bon Again," 4/12/08 (Discussing value of late inning relief vs starting rotation for Chamberlain by using example of Mariano Rivera).
Friday, April 11, 2008
Posada, A-rod, Rivera after 6-1 Royals win
"Homers by Rodriguez and Posada in the ninth
- cost Mariano Rivera a save chance, but he worked a scoreless final frame."
- (From occasions such as this you will see countless articles warning Rivera's "save stat" totals aren't as good as someone else, implying his skills might be slipping. The function of the "save opportunity" is usually overlooked in such cases). sm
Tuesday, April 08, 2008
Mo throwing v Tampa, April 6, 2008.
"A dime a dozen?" Right.
Wednesday, April 02, 2008
Front cover, Newsday, Last Opening Night at Yankee Stadium
Mo! Last opening night at the real Yankee Stadium, 4/1/08
Words from NY Daily News' Mike Lupica:
- "Mo Rivera threw his first pitch to Lyle Overbay and there were lights from cameras all over the ballpark, the kind you see on the first pitch of the game, not in the ninth.
- One out in the ninth.
Fly ball to Melky, strictly routine this time.
- Two outs.
"Let's Go Yankees!" chants rocked the place.
- Rivera busted one in on Scutaro's hands, the kind of pitch he has thrown a thousand times in the ninth inning, and Scutaro beat it to Robinson Cano at second, and it was over.
The night shouldn't have been nearly this loud, this exciting. It was. Whole 'nother place. Still."