Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Rivera at 75 Varick Street, June 30
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Mariano Rivera 'the most meaningful Yankee' in this stretch-Cashman
Cashman on Rivera:
""It's going to be hell replacing him," Cashman said.
NY Post, "Levine: Jeter, Rivera will remain Yankees,
" by Brian Costello, 6/29/10
Monday, June 28, 2010
Weekend in LA showcase for Mariano Rivera-Harper
Said Torre, ""I was kidding with (Joe) Girardi before the game, saying,
- you shouldn't bring him in if the game's tied.'""...
from NY Daily News column by John Harper, "Jonathan Broxton shows Joe Torre what life without Mariano Rivera
is like, blows 4 run lead to Yanks" 6/28
Saturday, June 26, 2010
In Los Angeles, June 25
- Third photo Manny in the 9th after striking out swinging.
- Top, Posada speaks to Mo as he enters the game.
- all Getty. Final score 2-1.
Thursday, June 24, 2010
In Arizona, winning pitcher Mariano Rivera
Wed., 6/23 v Diamondbacks. Mo 2 IP, final in 10 innings, 6-5.
top getty, 2nd reuters, bottom mlb.com, 'Mo earns the win'
Mo's at-bat, top of the 10th v Arizona, 6/23
- 2 photos above 6/23 game, getty
- above getty, 6/23
- above 6/21 pre-game warm-up in Arizona, getty
Sunday, June 20, 2010
Mo retires 22 consecutive batters, a regular season high mark for him
- Sunday, Fathers Day, June 20, 2010 v Mets. Score 4-0. As of today, Mo has retired 22 consecutive batters, a regular season career high. Granted today wasn't a high pressure situation, but all stats have their ups and downs. ed. all getty
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Mo retires 19 straight, one short of career high
6/19/10: Final Score 5-3. "Mariano Rivera has retired 19 consecutive batters,
- according to the Elias Sports Bureau."
from NY Times Inside Pitch, "Yankees 5, Mets 3, Yankees' Hughes bests Mets' Pelfrey in 5-3 win
," by Ben Shpigel (Mets @ NYY)
- photo Rivera after 9th inning v Mets, 6/19/10, by the Star-Ledger
Warm-ups v Phillies at the Stadium
Warm-ups before Phillies game at the stadium, June 17th, getty photos
Sunday, June 13, 2010
At the Stadium, June 13, 2010
Mariano Rivera waits in the 9th inning in the rain as grounds
crew attends pitcher's mound. v Astros, Sun., 6/13, final 9-5.
in the rain, ap
Saturday, June 12, 2010
Win-save combination for Pettitte and Rivera, now 67 regular season, 77 total.
Today's 4-3 win for the Yankees
at the stadium (6/11) was the 67th regular season win-save tandem for Pettitte and Rivera. May 26, 2010 was their
66th regular season win-save combination. 4/19/10 NY Post article notes 65th reg. season combo on 4/18/10
- The two also have 10 post season win-save combos.
- The YES Network's studio guy mentioned today's 67th win-save combo for Pettitte and Rivera but failed to mention the pair's hard fought and earned 10 post season win-saves. If you write to the YES Network about this tossing in the dustbin of an important part of a long career, misleading viewers, they will tell you it's the customary way of doing things. Which is why I consider the YES Network a kindred spirit of ESPN and MLB and rarely watch any of them. As I've said elsewhere, I like SNY's presentation (the Mets channel).
Pettitte and Rivera's 10 post season win-save combos: (8 of the above were multi-inning appearances for Rivera. Honorable Mention: The "Bugs" Game, Game 2, 2007 ALDS, NYY @ Cleveland.
Pettitte and Rivera appeared together in other post season games that didn't have the exact technical requirements for a win-save combo).
Friday, June 11, 2010
Bill Clinton is democrats' Mariano Rivera--Washington Post, The Fix
6/9/10: Washington Post, The Fix, "Super Duper Tuesday: The Winners and Losers,
" Chris Cillizza
"Winners" in Super Tuesday Elections:
"Bill Clinton: In a world of too-cautious politicians
unwilling to stick their collective necks out, the former President stands out. Clinton went into Arkansas hard and heavy for Lincoln...
in the waning days of the primary. ...
the one person you want on your side
- in the dying days of a tight race.
Labels: Bill Clinton is democrats' Mariano Rivera
Thursday, June 10, 2010
At Camden Yards, June 9, 2010
top reuters, bottom getty, final score 4-2 Yankees.
Sunday, June 06, 2010
In Toronto, June 6, 2010
final score 4-3,
top ap, bottom reuters
Friday, June 04, 2010
Mo could've been a Hall of Fame center fielder-Teixeira
and stamp the last out of the afternoon, wasn't about to downplay what he'd seen.
- I think anyone would tell you that.
You should see him in pregame, catching fly balls in the outfield. You should see him run and work out. This guy, if he'd decided 20 years ago to be a center fielder,
Labels: Mo could have been Hall of Fame center fielder-Teixeira
Mo on Jim Joyce, Peter Gammons on Mo
6/3, Baseball Ink on Jim Joyce:
- even Mariano Rivera (yesterday) called him
he’s known for having a very sharp eye/ear in identifying correct calls on plays that broadcasters have to look
at a dozen times on replays.
Joyce’s incorrect call was not idiocy. No. Idiocy would have been “Hey, screw you all. I made the call and I stand by it. The guy was safe.” In fact he exhibited great class in very quickly admitting he was wrong. Given, umpires get calls wrong in pretty much every game; it’s a difficult career path for a perfectionist and Joyce is as close as the game has to one."..."What would Joyce do?" ****
"At a time when we are besieged by extremist, take-the-low-road differences of opinion and voices that feel the need to scream obscenities, Joyce, Galarraga and Leyland demonstrated the best of instincts. In the end, they reminded everyone young and old
- of the words of John Grisham, words often
Thursday, June 03, 2010
At the Stadium, June 3, 2010
Rivera with Arod and Girardi after Orioles game, final score 6-3. ap
Tuesday, June 01, 2010
At the Stadium, June 1, 2010
- top with Cervelli v Baltimore Orioles, 6/1/10, final score 3-1, ap.
- bottom getty