Saturday, October 23, 2010
In Texas ALCS game 6, October 22
2 reuters, 6 ap, rest getty, 5 and 7 in dugout before game
Friday, October 22, 2010
Teixeira: Mariano Rivera is the greatest pitcher of all time.
10/21/10, "When Mark Teixeira was asked today about the impact Mariano Rivera has on an opposing team, the injured Yankee first baseman saw the interviewer's question and raised the stakes of his answer.
- "To me, he's the greatest pitcher of all time,'' Teixeira said.
"Well, obviously he's the greatest relief pitcher of all–time,'' Teixeira said. "But with what he’s done in the post-season, his post-season numbers, how he closes the door in so many tight games,
- you can make an argument he’s the best of all time.
- There's definitely people who will say a reliever can’t be the greatest pitcher of all time but you look at his body of work winning championships, putting up crazy numbers,
Asked about the feeling of hopelessness Rivera inspires in opposing hitters, Teixeira cited his own limited history of facing Mo as a mamber of the Texas Rangers and L.A. Angels.
- "I hated facing Mo as an opponent,'' he said. "I think I got one hit off him, maybe drew one walk. Every other time was a broken bat or a strikeout.''
- "Tex: None better than Mo," Wallace Matthews, ESPN blog
Thursday, October 21, 2010
At the Stadium ALCS game 5, October 20
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Jets nickname Dwight Lowery 'their Mariano Rivera'
10/20, "Call (Jets) Lowery 'The Closer'
- Dwight Lowery has acquired a couple of nicknames from his teammates --
- Lowery returned a Brett Favre pass for a touchdown to close out the Vikings two games ago, and on Sunday in Denver he recovered a fumbled snap by Kyle Orton to squelch a Broncos' comeback in the final seconds.
- Said safety Jim Leonhard, "We're definitely getting on him.
- from NY Post, Mark Cannazzaro, "Jets Revis must repair early-season image," 10/20
Monday, October 18, 2010
At the Stadium ALCS game 3, October 18
Sunday, October 17, 2010
"For him to get anybody's attention outside of New York now, he'd probably have to save 65 games." Sheldon Ocker, 11/9/05, NY Times
10/17/10, "The wild card is Rivera, who probably shouldn't be anywhere near as good as he has been at age 40, converting 33 of 38 chances for New York while owning a 1.80 ERA in 61 appearances."...
- (He also completed 2 saves in 1 day on 5/26/10, which isn't reported. This was the 6th time he's had 2 saves in one day in his career. On official records, 5/26's earlier game is listed as a 5/25 game, but only 6 innings were played. The final 3 innings were on 5/26 with Rivera along with the regularly scheduled 5/26 game.) ed.
- He's been the biggest reason we've been successful. Closers don't last this long. They don't do the things he does.
- Obviously, you're never going to see anything like this again."...
"I can't even understand why you would ask. Mariano is amazing," Posada said. "Mariano is, for me,
- the reason why we are in this situation and the reason why we keep being in this situation.
- There's not another Mariano and there is never going to be another Mariano.""
- from MLB.com, "Core Four makes point to enjoy the ride," by B. Hoch
- left Rivera's name off their 2005 AL Cy Young ballot.
- Sheldon Ocker's statement about Rivera in the title of this post is from the NY Times article. As I post this, it's at the end of the article, though that hasn't always been the case.
Saturday, October 16, 2010
In Texas, ALCS game 1, Oct. 15
Sunday, October 10, 2010
At the Stadium ALDS game 3 v Twins, October 9
Saturday, October 09, 2010
In Minnesota, ALDS game two, October 7, 2010
- 1 getty, above beginning of 9th, ap
- NY Post above; above that NY Daily News
- Twins dugout 9th, ALDS game 2, ap
- ALDS workout day Yankee Stadium, 10/8, ap
Friday, October 08, 2010
Girardi using Mo in the 8th showed how badly he wanted game 1
10/7, "In Going to Mariano Rivera in eighth inning, Joe Girardi shows how badly he wanted Game 1," Mike Lupica, NY Daily News
Thursday, October 07, 2010
Pettitte-Rivera win-save combination reaches #79 on 10/7/10, update, reaches #81 on 5/11/13, #70 in regular season
****5/11/13, Pettitte-Rivera win-save #81, 70th in regular season, final 3-2 vs Royals.
***WIN-SAVES: Total of 79. 68 in regular, 11 in post season:***
July 8, 2010 in Seattle was #68 win-save combo for Pettitte and Rivera in regular season,
- along with then 10 post season win-saves for then total of 78.
- Now, October 7, 2010 makes 11 in post season, added to 68 in regular season,
- 79 grand total.
- 1. Game 2, 1998 ALDS, Tex @ NYY
- 2. Game 4, 1998 World Series, NYY @ San Diego
- 3. Game 2, 1999 ALDS, Tex @ NYY
- 4. Game 4, 1999 ALCS, NYY @ Boston
- 5. Game 2, 2000 ALDS, NYY @ Oak
- 6. Game 3, 2000 ALCS, NYY @ Seattle
- 7. Game 1, 2001 ALCS, NYY @ Seattle
- 8. Game 2, 2003 ALDS, Minn. @ NYY
- 9. Game 3, 2009 ALDS, NYY @ Twins
- 10. Game 6, 2009 ALCS, LAA @ NYY
- 11. Game 2, 2010 ALDS, NYY @ Minn.
8 of the above post season win-saves were multi-inning appearances for Rivera.
Honorable Mention: The "Bugs" Game, Game 2, 2007 ALDS, NYY @ Cleveland, 2IP for Rivera. Pettitte and Rivera appeared together in other games that didn't have the exact technical requirements for a win-save combo.
*References: 4/19/10 NY Post article notes 65th reg. season combo on 4/18/10. May 26, 2010 was their 66th regular season win-save combination. 6/11/10, 4-3 win for the Yankees at the stadium (6/11) was 67th regular season win-save. July 8, 2010 in Seattle was #68.
- Lucky and not so lucky to be playing in post season while others are resting up. Regular season stats are the only ones MLB and other lead media use when describing a Hall of Fame player's stats
- even when the player has post season and all star stats.
Some photos of Andy Pettitte's return in 2012
Pettitte speaks with reporters on first official day back, 3/20/12, ap
3/20/12, Pettitte speaks to media at The Boss, ap
Pettitte at The Boss after his first bullpen with Larry Rothschild, Ivan Nova observes, 3/20/12, ap
Mariano Rivera earns "600th career save" 10/7/10-Reuters
"New York Yankees closer Mariano Rivera pitches to the Minnesota Twins during the ninth inning of Game 2 of their MLB American League Divison Series baseball playoffs in Minneapolis, Minnesota, October 7, 2010.
- Rivera picked up his 600th career save."
- Baseball-Reference, 559 regular season, 41 post season