Sunday, May 30, 2010
At the Stadium, May 30, 2010
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
At Twins, May 26, two saves in one day for 6th time
final score 1-0, for first of 2 saves in one day, both
Friday, May 21, 2010
At Citifield, May 21
- "Ok what are your top 5 (closers) of all-time?
- 1. Mariano Rivera-no closer
- has shut the door more
- when it mattered most."
Friday, May 14, 2010
At the Stadium v Twins, May 14
Thursday, May 13, 2010
At Detroit, May 12, 2010
doubleheader. ap. Media deprived of bigger than 12 day story.
Saturday, May 08, 2010
Extra Mariano video from E:60
- Show to run on ESPN, Tues, May 11, 7pm. video from vimeo
Friday, May 07, 2010
Rivera rare appearance in the dugout, Boston
still on the mound. Suzyn mentioned on radio that Posada and
Mariano were standing at the railing looking very concerned about
Yankee hitters being hit by Beckett. By the 9th inning Rivera was
in the bullpen warming up in case he was needed, which he wasn't.
5/7 game, getty.
Thursday, May 06, 2010
The core 8 of today's Yankees-Lupica
He is the best of them all and the greatest of them all
- and still the most indispensable,
in the year when he wants to win his sixth World Series a few weeks before he turns 41. And he had been set down for a couple of days this week with a sore hip.
- "I am here if they need me today," he said.
And then they nearly did as the Orioles scored two in the 8th and two in the 9th and turned a blow-out snoozer of an afternoon game into 7-5.
So they didn't need the great Rivera on Wednesday afternoon the way they will most likely need him at Fenway this weekend, and across the summer and into the fall.
- So he was in front of his locker, sounding like the chief elder of all the Yankee elders as always, making sense about all baseball matters...
- "Nobody gets to stay young forever," he said....
We hear more than ever about the Core Four - Mo, Pettitte, Posada, Jeter - those guys celebrated in story and probably song eventually. But the core of this Yankee team is these eight guys, no particular order:
- Rivera, Sabathia, Rodriguez, Teixeira, Jeter
- Cano, Posada, Burnett."...
Tuesday, May 04, 2010
Commies use name of Rivera to try to stoke race war and intimidate MLB. Forget MLB gave World Baseball Classic to brutal Mexico.
- Arizona is not about race. It's about life and death, Rape Trees, and daily terror.
- keeping Arizona residents terrorized. From NY Observer:
- calling for the Yankees and Mets to boycott the All-Star Game in Arizona next summer.
"If Mets or Yankees players attend the All-Star Game, they could be subjected to the same suspicion, profiling, and harassment now threatening thousands of Arizonans -- both immigrants and citizens," writes Dan Cantor in an email sent to the group's 130,000-person mailing list, asking them to sign an open letter that will be presented to the owners of both teams.
- As the email notes, Arizona started recognizing Martin Luther King Jr. Day after the N.F.L. moved the Super Bowl out of the state. And other Major Leaguers have said they won't participate if the law remains in effect next year.
I was all set to make a joke about how this is much more of a dilemma for the Yankees, but--as it turns out--the Mets had more All-Stars than the Yanks last year."
- "Working Families party worries for the Sandman," NY Observer, Reid Pillifant, 5/4, via Daylife
Monday, May 03, 2010
- Mariano Rivera actually finished third in Cy Young voting in 1996 when he was the
- set-up man for John Wetteland.
Answer: Thanks for the relevant information about Rivera, and you're right, the point is Zambrano's future is not as a set-up man."
- from Chicago Tribune, Paul Sullivan Cubs mailbag, 5/3/10 ****
- Jason Whitlock discussed the matter of a small number of hand-picked selectors conferring immortality in another sports award, the NFL Hall of Fame. ed.
- 122 strikeouts by fanning
- 130 in 107.2 innings.
- to Baltimore's Rafael Palmeiro on June 28."...
- photo above from ESPNNewYork.com site, 5/8/10, item about all time Yankee team
Labels: Cy Young voting for set-up men