Sunday, October 17, 2010
"For him to get anybody's attention outside of New York now, he'd probably have to save 65 games." Sheldon Ocker, 11/9/05, NY Times
10/17/10, "The wild card is Rivera, who probably shouldn't be anywhere near as good as he has been at age 40, converting 33 of 38 chances for New York while owning a 1.80 ERA in 61 appearances."...
- (He also completed 2 saves in 1 day on 5/26/10, which isn't reported. This was the 6th time he's had 2 saves in one day in his career. On official records, 5/26's earlier game is listed as a 5/25 game, but only 6 innings were played. The final 3 innings were on 5/26 with Rivera along with the regularly scheduled 5/26 game.) ed.
- He's been the biggest reason we've been successful. Closers don't last this long. They don't do the things he does.
- Obviously, you're never going to see anything like this again."...
"I can't even understand why you would ask. Mariano is amazing," Posada said. "Mariano is, for me,
- the reason why we are in this situation and the reason why we keep being in this situation.
- There's not another Mariano and there is never going to be another Mariano.""
- from MLB.com, "Core Four makes point to enjoy the ride," by B. Hoch
- left Rivera's name off their 2005 AL Cy Young ballot.
- Sheldon Ocker's statement about Rivera in the title of this post is from the NY Times article. As I post this, it's at the end of the article, though that hasn't always been the case.