Thursday, September 22, 2011

 

Quinnipiac freshman Mariano Rivera Jr. speaks about his father's new pitching record

.
9/21/11, "Mariano Rivera Jr. reacts to dad’s new record," Quinnipiac Chronicle, John Healy

"On Monday Quinnipiac freshman Mariano Rivera Jr. sat in Yankee Stadium hoping to see his father, Mariano Rivera, make history and become the all-time saves leader.

Early on, it didn’t look like Rivera would have a chance at setting the record, as the Yankees had a 5-0 lead, which does not constitute a save situation.

But after the Minnesota Twins scored four runs, the game became a save situation and Rivera was on the mound in the ninth to strike out Chris Parmelee for record-breaking save number 602 in a 6-4 Yankees win.

“Toward the end I thought that he was going to have a chance and the excitement started building up,” Rivera Jr. said. “Just the joy of seeing my father reaching that goal, it was a proud moment for him and I was very proud for him. I’m very thankful that I was actually there to support him and I think he was happy that I was there along with my brothers and my mom.”...

I’ve always said that my father is the best no matter what. The numbers didn’t prove it but now finally the numbers can back that up. That’s just such a reassuring feeling now,” Rivera said.

Rivera was just 3 years old when his father made his major league debut.

Fifteen years, 602 saves, plus 42 postseason saves later, it’s the most recent accomplishments that Rivera will remember most....

Shortly after his father recorded the historic save, Rivera updated his Facebook status, which read, “Yesss!!!! That a boy dad! New leader congrats great accomplishment :) ♥.”"...

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?