Thursday, December 06, 2012

 

Mariano Rivera on Michael Kay show, ESPN NY radio, Tues. 12/4/12

.
12/5/12, "Mariano Rivera speaks for the first time since signing what could be his final contract," Star-Ledger, Jeff Bradley

"Mariano Rivera spoke for the first time since signing his new one-year contract, which could be worth up to $10 million with incentives. Appearing on the Michael Kay Show on ESPN Radio,

Rivera touched on a number of subjects.

"I missed the game but not the traveling," Rivera said. "That was the time when I didn't know if I wanted to come back again."

As to why he decided to come back, Rivera reiterated what he said in May, when he tore his ACL in Kansas City, "I didn't want to leave the game the way I did this year. That pushed me. Give me a chance to go out there again and try to win another World Series."

Will this definitely be his final season?

"It could be," Rivera said. "I will tell the guys in spring training. I don't want to break that promise."

Asked if he was confident he could pitch at his usual high level after a year off, Rivera said,

"Definitely. Otherwise I would be there. I always ask myself for a level. I feel great. I've started running. The knee feels great and it's getting better every day."

Rivera said he watched in disbelief as the Yankee struggled to score runs in the postseason. "It was tough to watch, but that's the game of baseball. I can't explain it.

He does not, however, fear retirement.

"Baseball to me is not everything," he said. "I have to finish my career and then jump back into the church and do what I can to help the youngsters.""

ESPN Radio Michael Kay show podcast with Mariano Rivera from Steiner Sports event, Mon. 12/4/12



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?