Tuesday, October 08, 2013

 

Detroit Tiger Victor Martinez says Balfour's no Mariano Rivera

.
10/7/13, "Martinez: Balfour is no Mariano Rivera," MyFoxDetroit.com, WJBK

Victor Martinez
"Detroit struggled on the mound, at the plate and in the field during a 6-3 loss Monday that left the Tigers trailing 2-1 in the best-of-five AL division series.

But the game would not be complete without a bench-clearing, heated exchange between Victor Martinez and A's closer Grant Balfour in the ninth inning.

Balfour said something that apparently did not sit right with up-to-bat Martinez, and the tempers started flaring. The two closed in on each other, staring each other down, and teammates ran off the bench and out of the bullpen to back up their guys.

Here's what Martinez has to say about what happened: "I just fouled a pitch off. I was looking at [Balfour] and he told me, 'What the *** am I looking?' And I was like ... [scoffs] ... Not even the greatest closer, that's Mariano, tell you stuff like that. And I'm not a rookie too, that he's going to come and intimidate me with little *** like that."...

The Tigers go against the A's again tomorrow for Game Four at Comerica Park, beginning at 2:07 PM (PT) on TBS."


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?