Saturday, November 09, 2013

 

Mo hopes Yankees will play spring exhibition game in Panama-Updated, Yankees and Marlins to play exhibition games in Panama in March 2014

.
11/12/13, "11/12/13, "Yankees to play exhibition games in Panama to honor Mariano Rivera," Aaron Gleeman, Hardball Talk

"This is pretty cool. Mariano Rivera has talked about wanting the Yankees to play an exhibition game in his hometown of Panama City, Panama and now it’s happening.

Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that the Yankees will play two exhibition games against the Marlins in Panama on March 15 and March 16.

Should be a great scene, with Rivera no doubt being part of the festivities. And maybe Yankees manager Joe Girardi can give him a last-minute “come out of retirement, please” sales pitch." via btf


========================

11/8/13, "Mo wants to bring the Yankees to Panama,"  Lohud Yankee blog, Chad Jennings

"Mariano Rivera has some clout. Does he have enough to bring the Yankees to Panama? Honored at last night’s 19th annual Lou Gehrig Sports Awards Benefit Dinner, Rivera brought up the idea of playing a spring exhibition game in his home country of Panama. And he says it could happen as soon as 2014.

“We’re trying to make it happen, but right now, it is not confirmed,” Rivera said. “Hopefully it will happen quickly, because we want to do it. I want to bring them back to my country and give the people in Panama a great time with the Yankees. So hopefully we can do it.”

As long as I get to go, I’m all for it.

A few other Rivera comments from last night, as passed along by MLB.com…

On winning Comeback Player of the Year: “You know, when you talk about a comeback, it’s not such a good word, because you know that something happened. Either you didn’t do good, or something happened to you. The previous year, I didn’t like to remember that. It was a sad time for me. But it motivated me, pushed me to finish the way I finished. If that didn’t happen, it wouldn’t have been the same.”

On Dave Robertson as a ninth-inning replacement: “That would be my guy. But definitely, when you start a new job, it’s different. He’ll have to be patient. I believe that he could be the guy. … The transition is mentally. You have to be ready mentally. When it happens, you have to be able to flip the page and move forward.”

On the Red Sox winning the World Series: “They deserve it. They played better than anybody. They played to a different level. That’s why they are the champions. They were capable of doing that; they deserved to win.”

On being honored by the ALS Association: “It means a lot for me to be here. Sometimes we complain. Sometimes I did complain when I would blow a save. When I see this, I have to reach out and say, ‘I’m sorry for being selfish sometimes.’ … Seeing this, it’s something we all have to help, to share what the Lord has given us with others less fortunate and those in need.”"



.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?